Falling in love with Fall - Week 1 - Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
4 lbs sweet potatoes
1/2 cup (110g) packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup milk (anything but skim)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (70g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped or broken pecans
1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. Pierce each of the sweet potatoes twice on two side. Place on baking sheet and bake until cooked through and soft, about 60 - 75 minutes.
3. Peel potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
4. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until well mashed. Let cool about 5 - 10 minutes so the eggs don't cook and in the mixture.
5. Add in brown sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, milk, eggs, vanilla, and season with 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste) and 1/4 tsp pepper.
6. Using an electric hand mixer blend mixture to combined well.
7. Pour into a greased casserole dish and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
8. For the topping, in a separate medium mixing bowl using a fork stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans (break up brown sugar clumps with fingertips as needed). Spread over potatoes in casserole dish
9. Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!